+Discount/Redemption codes will not be accepted for this product.
- Limited production run of 128 pairs
- 13.5oz. proprietary "Makuro" Sanforized Raw Selvedge denim
- New Tapered fit (similar to Relax Tapered)
- 100% Cotton
- Sulphur Dyed Black warp x gray weft
- Black Selvedge ID
- 4 Button fly with Big John embossing
- 5th pocket peek-a-boo Selvedge ID
- Custom OD+BJ Japanese “Seigaiha” (Wave Motif) woven label
- Custom black Big John rayon tab
- "Kagome" Screenprinted herringbone fabric pocket bags
- Half-lined Herringbone back pockets
- Tochigi Natural Cowhide Leather reinforced Flat Brass Rivets
- "Kagome" Natural Cowhide Leather patch featuring traditional Japanese basket weave pattern artwork by Nathan Spoor
A pair that brings together two generational companies from the Okayama region, this collaboration is through and through a celebration of Okayama and what the tiny town of Kojima has shared with the world in the form of Selvedge denim over the past 70 years. Featuring a fabric that the famed weaving house, Nihon Menpu, have made a staple within their collection for the past decade, the moniker "Makuro" is the word for Jet Black in Japanese, a commentary on the pitch black face of the fabric. Collaborating with our friends from Big John on this pair, the brand that produced the first 'Made in Japan' Selvedge jeans back in 1973, everything about this project puts Kojima on the pedestal it deserves.
For the artwork featured on the leather patch, pocket bags and flasher, we once again turned to our good friend Nathan Spoor. After much deliberation and sampling, Nathan conjured up the wonderful "Kagome" inspired pattern work that is featured as the backdrop for the custom OD+Big John logo and screen printed pocket bags.
The Kagome pattern is a traditional Japanese design characterized by an interlocking lattice of hexagons or triangles, often associated with bamboo baskets. It has a rich history in Japanese art and design, appearing in textiles, ceramics, and architecture. The pattern represents unity and interconnectedness, while also symbolizing good luck and protection against evil spirits.
The New Tapered cut is a complete revamp from any previous Big John cut to date. We took the previously available Slim Tapered cut from Big John and reworked it for a more flattering final aesthetic. The Rises & Thighs are now roomier than previous BJ Slim Tapered's, with the taper beginning just above the knee and continuing down to the leg opening.
For the details, we opted for a full blackout look, with all the hardware going monotone. For added durability, as well as serving as an interesting patina project, we chose to reinforce the rivets with the same Tochigi Natural Cowhide leather as featured on the waistband patch.
*Model is pictured wearing a size 28. He weighs 59kg (130 pounds) and is 178cm (5’11”) tall.